home   |  about us   |  join us   |  events   |  contact

  Please choose:
   :: What is Epilepsy                  
  - Factsheets                      
  - Living with Epilepsy       
  - Q & A                            
  - First Aid                   

   :: Web Resources                  
   :: Our Sitemap                       

  :: SEF Forum ::
About epilepsy image
What is Epilepsy?

Epilepsy is not a disease, and it is not contagious. It is a common neurological disorder that causes sudden, uncontrollable electrical surges in the brain. These brief interruptions in the brain activities causes periods of altered awareness, known as seizures whose nature and intensity vary from person to person.

There is no single cause of epilepsy, and in 70% of all cases, there is no known cause. In the remaining 30% of cases, Some of the known causes of epilepsy are:

  • Severe head injury
  • Infections that damage the brain
  • Toxic substances that affect the brain
  • Brain tumor and stroke
  • Hereditary disease affecting the brain
  • High Fever
  • Lack of oxygen to the brain
  • Metabolism or nutrition imbalance

    Recognising Seizures:

    Seizures may present in many forms but are always due to bursts of electrical activity within the brain. It may appear as a brief stare, an unusual movement of the body, consciousness, a change in awareness, muscle spasms or convulsions. A single seizure is not considered epilepsy. When seizures occur again and again, the patient is said to have epilepsy.

    Seizure may last a few seconds or a few minutes and the number of seizures vary greatly from person to person - from a few a year to several a day.

    Common types of Seizures:

  • Generalised Seizures
  • Tonic Clonic Seizures
  • Tonic Seizures
  • Absence Seizures
  • Partial Seizures
  • Simple Partial Seizures
  • Complex Partial Seizures
  • Atonic Seizures
  • Myoclonic Seizures

    ** Epilepsy can affect anyone at any time and any age.